There is so much to choose from if you want to entertain the family – the kids will never be bored!
The four season resort of Queenstown has options all year round from skiing in Winter to water activities in Summer. If the weather isn’t cooperating, you can go swimming, to the 3D cinema or play mini-golf.
Family friendly day trips
- Head to the stunning Milford Sound on a coach-cruise-coach trip for the day. You’ll stop off at Te Anau and some great photograph opportunities along the way.
- A slightly longer day trip (but worth the extra time) is Doubtful Sound. You can visit the Manapouri Power Station along the way before cruising along Lake Manapouri and Doubtful Sound.
- If you are self- driving to Milford or Doubtful Sound, you can stop off at the Glowworm caves in Te Anau and experience the underwater world of glittering glowworms.
- Take a trip on the 101 year old Earnslaw Steam Ship to Walter Peak. While there, there are options for cycling tours, lunch, farm tours and horse treks.
- Head up the Gondola to see the views from Skyline. While there try out the thrilling luge rides where the family can race each other to the bottom of the track. You can also try out the Market Kitchen for lunch, go paragliding, ziplining, walking, see a Kiwi Haka and enjoy a gorgeous buffet dinner.
Water based activities in Queenstown for the kids
On sunny days, be sure to get out on Lake Wakatipu. New Zealand’s longest lake, Wakatipu is a glacial lake and only reaches 10o Celsius so wet suits and life jackets are advised.
- Water sports Queenstown hire out boats, donuts, biscuits, inflatables, paddleboats and aqua bikes to get the family out enjoying the water.
- Jet Boating is a great family adventure and there are a few companies to choose from.
- Rafting trips with Challenge Rafting will give you some river thrills and there are 2 options of rivers to choose from.
- Paraflights will let you parasail over Lake Wakatipu with up to 3 people at once! See some amazing views of Queenstown from the 6,000ft above the boat.
- Take a trip out to Glenorchy and Funyak along the Dart River. Drift and gently paddle along the crystal clear waters of Mount Aspiring National Park.
Family friendly Queenstown activities
- There are a few companies to horse ride with around Queenstown and Glenorchy which will pick you up in Queenstown and drop you back off. Ride through The Lord of the Rings scenery with Dart Stables.
- See the scenery around Queenstown’s back country on a 4WD tour with Nomad’s Safaris.
- Send the kids on a Paintball mission while you have lunch or coffee at near-by Jack’s Point Club House
- Head out along the streets of Queenstown on an eco-friendly Segway tour.
- Rent some bikes at one of the local bike shops on Shotover St and go for a cycle around Queenstown Gardens or one of the many bike tracks. See our biking around Queenstown page for more details.
- Take the kids for a hike to the top of Queenstown Hill or around Queenstown Bay for an easier walk. There are many stunning walks around lasting from 20 minutes to a few days. See our Hiking around Queenstown page for more details.
Rainy day activities to entertain the family
With something to offer whatever the weather, here are some wet-weather ideas:
- Reading Cinema on Beach St – now with 3D movies
- Have a game of mini golf on Brecon St
- Head to Alpine Aqualand in Frankton. They have a lazy river, hydro slide, lap pool, leisure pool, hot pool and host a Sunday Funday with inflatable pool toys.
- Want Paintball with the mess? Check out Reball for lots of fun games.
- Throughout the winter months, check out Queenstown Ice Arena where you can hire some ice skates and even get some lessons.
Have a look at some more indoor activities around Queenstown.
A few hours to spare with the kids?
If it’s a sunny day, head to the Flight Park on Malaghan’s Road on the way to Arrowtown. With indoor and outdoor play areas, you can all watch the paragliders come in to land from their take-off at Coronet Peak.