Queenstown is a great place for backpackers offering an abundance of adventure activities, nightlife, working holiday employment, backpacker youth hostels and budget accommodation. The great thing about Queenstown is that everything is within easy walking distance down town.
Whether you are visiting for a week or a few months your backpacking holiday in Queenstown is guaranteed to be a highlight of your trip to New Zealand. Here we’ve provided you with information and helpful links to help you plan your stay:
Getting to Queenstown
Queenstown is serviced by both Air New Zealand and Jetstar and as well as direct flights from Australia. Getting from Queenstown Airport to town and to your accommodation, you have the option of taxi, airport shuttle or public bus. Airport shuttles are located just outside the terminal building. Shuttle coaches, usually a 10 seater mini-bus will deliver you door to door.
Backpackers bus transport networks covering the main tourist routes and most popular visitor spots include Kiwi Experience and Stray Travel. All are similar in concept – you pick your itinerary, buy a bus pass and hop on and off the coach as and when you want. Trips range from 3 days to 30 days.
- Stray New Zealand Backpacker Bus
- Kiwi Experience
- Naked Passport – flexible bus pass sold in multiples of 5 trips, valid for 12 months, includes interisland ferry
Queenstown Backpacker Car Rental
The great New Zealand road trip is a great way to see the country and Queenstown is a must stop destination on your south island tour. There are rental car options from all major towns and ports around New Zealand.
- Ace Rental Cars Looking for a cheap car to rent? Ace Rentals has something to suit everyone’s needs and budget.
New Zealand Campervans
Looking to combine your road trip with accommodation? Campervans are a fantastic option for cheap travel and place to sleep for the night in one. There are loads of motorhome companies throughout the country, here are a few who cater for the budget conscious backpacker:
- Tui Campers
- Econo Campers New Zealand’s Best Value Budget Campervan Hire
- Alpha Campervans New Zealand Motorhome Hire for the price conscious traveller
- Spaceships Campervan Hire New Zealand
Visas / Passports / Queenstown Jobs
For up to date information on New Zealand climate, education, demographic, employment, economy, and immigration policies visit these information sites:
- New Zealand Government Immigration Service
- New Zealand Government Customs Service
- Protea Pacific Immigration Consultants
- Gapwork Jobs
- Anywork Anywhere – Jobs and resources for work and travel throughout the UK and worldwide
- Seasonal Jobs in New Zealand
- Adventure Jobs New Zealand Website for Adventure Professionals, Guides and Instructors